Felistowe Dockers

Felistowe Dockers

Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Man seriously injured at Port Otago after crane crash

A Port Otago worker has been seriously injured on the job, prompting the Maritime Union to again call for an industry-wide health and safety inquiry.
St John and police were called to the Port Chalmers site after a straddle car crashed about 1.15pm on Wednesday.
The 26-year-old from Carey's Bay was taken to Dunedin Hospital by St John ambulance.
A spokesman for the hospital said the man was in intensive care in a serious condition.

It is understood the vehicle, which picks and carries containers while straddling the load, toppled over and the pilot suffered crush injuries.
Port Otago chief executive Geoff Plunket said most staff were taken off shift in the afternoon.
"We've shut the operation down as much as we can.''
Mr Plunket would not comment on what caused the crash.
"The interest of our staff members is our priority at the moment," he said.
"We're quite distressed by the accident.''

A WorkSafe New Zealand spokeswoman said the regulator is investigating and an inspector had visited the port.
The Maritime Union of New Zealand confirmed that one of its members had been hurt.
National secretary Joe Fleetwood said the union would be following the investigation closely and supporting the man and his family.
Mr Fleetwood said ongoing accidents at ports throughout the country were a concern.
Today's incident reinforced the union's call for an industry-wide health and safety inquiry looking at all stevedoring operations in New Zealand, including both current operators and new operators, he said.




Dredgers Ham 316 & Willem van Oranje working at Felixstowe


Suction dredger Ham 316 and hopper dredger Willem van Oranje at work at Felixstowe, 30th June 2015. Includes Willem van Oranje gear deployment.





Shipping TV



Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Port of Liverpool dockers turn down fresh pay offer at mass meeting











The entrance to the Port of Liverpool, Seaforth
The entrance to the Port of Liverpool, Seaforth

The rejection of a three-year pay deal and improvements to sick pay terms means the on-going strike ballot will continue


Dockers at the Port of Liverpool have this morning turned down a pay offer from their employer Blue Arrow at a mass meeting.
The rejection of a three-year pay deal and improvements to sick pay terms means that the on-going threat of strike action will continue.
The pay offer had been recommended by trade union Unite to its 195 Port of Liverpool workers last week, but more than 100 dockers turned it down by a show of hands at an early morning meeting at Seaforth. One docker who was there said there was a clear majority against accepting the offer.
The docker told the ECHO today that the proposed pay offer had been rejected because the workforce did not like the three-year duration of the deal.
Trade union leaders will now re-open discussions with the dockers’ employer Blue Arrow about further changes to the pay offer.
A spokesman for Unite said: “It did not meet our members’ expectations.”
Dockers have also previously said that a sticking point was the company’s plan to limit claims for sick pay to three weeks. Last week’s offer from Blue Arrow included paying sick pay for up to 12-weeks.
Unite is expected to announce the outcome of last week’s strike ballot later today.
Nobody from Blue Arrow was immediately available for comment.